Monday, February 6

Making "Porcelain" Knobs

I thought I would try making some knobs for my kitchen faucet.

First I found a photo of some real porcelain knobs. VintagePlumbing.com has lots of them as well as other really cool old bathroom and kitchen fixtures.


So here we go. Anyone can roll out a snake with clay. Even me! LOL

I made some skinny snakes out of FIMO clay then cut a piece about 1/4" long. Then I cut another piece in half and added them to the sides. When they looked like a cross I added a teensy flattened ball to the center.


Then I popped them in the oven to bake. It took about 15 minutes at 275. I kept checking on them to be sure they didn't burn.


I only need two. Let's hope there will be two that match?

Tomorrow I'll show you how they turned out. Or maybe how they didn't turn out?

Sweet dreams!



3 comments:

Troy said...

Hopefully they turned out better than my last clay project. I will try and get some pictures together this week. I can't wait to see how yours turn out.

Patty said...

Kathi, They came out great!! Do you put a foil tent over your pieces when they are in the oven? This helps with the burning issue.

Ilona said...

Hello Kathi, I hope the knobs turned out well? Are there a couple of matching knobs? Your project is great.
Blessings, Ilona